Do it! I applied to lots of reach schools, got into a few, rejected/waitlisted at most, but the school I’m going to I almost crossed off!
- I really have no chance of getting in.
- Really, you have to understand that.
- And on the off chance that for some weird reason I’m appealing to an admissions counselor, that would mean I also probably got into NYU Gallatin, which is by far my no. 1 choice.
- I’m not even that enthusiastic about MIT, I’m interested in it because: a) they have great applied math, b) ditto for linguistics, c) ditto (surprisingly) for creative writing, and d) I could play baseball there. On the other hand, I’ve never visited, so I don’t really know what it’s like on campus, but I do know that they release their admissions decisions on pi day at tau o’clock (6:28) — as my physics teacher put it: they deserve themselves. Which means that it might not even be the kind of place that I would like.
- But again, I have no chance whatsoever of getting in. I’m pretty sure only one girl in my whole school’s history has ever gotten in there. Last year two (incredibly smart, hardworking [they both did far more impressively than I, both academically and as far as extracurriculars]) didn’t get in. One was waitlisted, one was flat-out rejected. The one who was waitlisted was also waitlisted at Harvard and Columbia (and didn’t apply anywhere else, because she decided if she didn’t get into those places, she was just going to go to the Technion in Hiafa), the one who was rejected got into both Princeton and Yale. So yeah, I really have no chance.